Wednesday, August 22, 2012

We Don't Shock Him

Musings on Psalm 107

Several months ago, my boyfriend told me he had been reading and loving Psalm 107 and I turned to it to see what he had found. I had read it before but never realized just how much God's character is revealed in this psalm. Since then, I have turned to it almost instinctively every time I open the Psalms, just to read words that remind me how God can change the course of my day and my life, no matter how dark.

The first and last lines of the chapter are perfect "bookends" for the beautiful truth found inside them: "Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good...and consider the lovingkindnesses of the Lord." In short, I sum up Psalm 107 in 12 words--Praise Him from your heart for His miracles. Praise and never forget.

These verses are a study in contrasts and in the ultimate control of our Creator God. No circumstances in our lives shock Him. Just think of it! Lost and wandering in the desert wilderness? He'll find you. Ready to faint from malnourishment and dehydration? He'll feed you and quench your thirst. (4-9) So blind you can't see three inches in front of your face, nevermind three years into the future? He'll light the way for your stumbling feet. Chained in the consequences of your own sin and failure? He'll set you free. Broken by the price you've had to pay? He'll mend you. (10-20) Dying in direct rebellion against everything you know? You've turned from Him, but He'll turn to you and stretch out His hand. Blown about by the powerful winds and melting in the waves of an ocean storm you never saw coming? He'll speak and still the storm. Wondering how you're going to make it home? He'll bring you there. (23-30) Dry and barren? He'll make you flourish. So successful and proud that you're on the road to disaster? He'll derail your train and humble your heart. Poor and weak and oppressed and grieving? He'll bring you above everything that could crush you--to a place where He lives and blesses. (33-41)

I mean, what else can be said? I'm amazed more every day by the goodness of God in my life. When I look at the prayers He has answered, the desperate pleas He has heard, the broken heart He has healed on so many occasions, I am sent to my knees. And on the days I am dry and distant, the all-providing God draws me close and puts His arms around me. I don't deserve to have my Savior walk through life with me..but I couldn't be more grateful that the God of Psalm 107 is mine. "Let [us] give thanks to the Lord for His lovingkindness, and for His wonders to the sons of men!" (31)

1 comment:

  1. Funny you're musing about this Psalm today. Just yesterday, I came across Psalm 138 and I love it all. I'll have to explain to you later how I accidentally (or serendipitously) read it, but it is such a short and sweet psalm about praising God's goodness and His answer to our cries and His protecting and perfecting us.

    So good! I love God! And I love you, my girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete