Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Looking for Him

In every day, if we look for it, there is a moment of awe to be found. There is at least one moment that will take our breath away. Why? Because it is the moment we find what we are looking for...or rather, who we are looking for. It is the moment we see our lives as they could be and shout with joy that they are so much more. What do I mean? Well, here are a few moments in our various lives:

Your daughter kisses you on the cheek and says "Goodnight, Daddy. I love you." Your son looks up at you to see the expression on your face and copies it exactly. Your infant cries in the night and as soon as she is in your arms, her voice is silent and her eyes are closed. You watch the sunset on the beach as you sit beside the person you love. You drink from underneath a waterfall. You feel a child's heavy breath as he falls asleep on your shoulder. You hear a clap of thunder and see heaven's floodgates open from the front-row...the skylight in your ceiling. You walk through the white woods and can only hear the sound of leaves crunching underneath your boots....there are millions I could think of.

Today I had one moment like this as I looked out over an empty field on my morning walk. It was early..the sky was grey and few were awake. And yet, the beauty of untouched nature was breathtaking. I had to ask myself: If I spent my entire day looking for the hand of God all around me, would I just keep finding it? And if I found it, would it change the way I live- the way I see my world and my life and the people so much a part of it?

I have to wonder what it would be like if the awesomeness of God never left the front of my mind, the center of my desires, the innermost chamber of my heart. Would the power of His love transform my ability to love and trust and serve others? Would the power of His grace take my eyes off of my sin and weakness and fix them solely on the cross? Would the power of His mercy keep me from the destructive pride and prejudice in which I so often shamefully find myself indulging?

God has made His home in me. What an amazing thought! He will not leave or forsake me. So, if I spent today looking for Him on every corner, would I find Him? I would. I would find Him in the loving words of the family He gave me, the friends He brought me, and the people who came into my life only by the goodness of His hand. I would find Him in the beauty of His creation and in the whispering wind. I would find Him in the literature I read, the music I play, and in the hearts and minds of students I teach. And if I found Him, could He change this heart of stone into a heart of flesh? I believe He could. If I would just let him, I believe He would.

No comments:

Post a Comment