Saturday, August 25, 2012

Leaving It All

Musings on Matthew 16:24

When I love something, I'll most likely leave everything else to attain it. 6:30 am and I leave my warm bed to play the piano that beckons. 1:30 am and I still sit at my desk poring over an old copy of Jane Eyre. I leave my sleep to follow my passions.

And when I love someone, I am called to leave everything else to serve him or her. No matter what I want, I am to leave it to provide for their needs. When my niece needs a shoulder to cry on or applause to cheer her on, I'm to drop what I'm doing and give it. When the one I love is sick or struggling, I'm to care for him as I'd want to be taken care of. When my friend is down on her luck, I'm to provide something she lacks asking nothing in return.

But here's the kicker: I don't always do that. In fact, I often don't.

I say I love God's Word, but do I leave my comfort to read it? I say I love my brothers and sisters, but do I leave the people that stand against them to be on their side? I say I love my best friend, but do I drop what I'm doing to pray for her in her struggles and the stresses and temptations of her day?...I could keep going.

And I am as sincere in my affections as a faltering human can be! I try to love the people I love in every way I can think of...and yet I still fall so short. When Jesus asks us to "take up our cross and follow Him", He means to leave everything for love of Him. "Let the dead bury their dead"(Matt. 8:22) can sound pretty harsh but think of what He's saying for a minute. Here's a paraphrase: Family should not impede your devotion to me, and death itself should not impede your devotion to me. Following me is first.

I am reminded of the institution of marriage. "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave unto his wife; and they two shall be one flesh."(Gen. 2:24) It's the same thought here. If you love one, you'll leave the other. In leaving, you will be united intimately to the one you have been given.

Are we truly willing to leave all for love of others? More importantly, are we willing to leave all for love of the Lord Jesus? He left everything for love of us...heaven, glory, angels, wealth, power. Can we not follow Him, "forsaking all others"?

I am ashamed when I think of my failing to take up my cross daily..when I think of all I have been given and how little I give. But, I so want to learn to leave everything! To leave the world, to leave my sin, and to leave all that weakens my resolve to serve the Savior who purchased me at such great price.

As we prepare to worship Him tomorrow, let's remember to leave everything that doesn't matter behind. Let's worship the One we love in spirit and in truth...because He first loved us. <3 Enough to take up His cross so we never had to bear God's righteous anger. He left all because He loved us. May I leave all because I love Him..and continue to learn to love the people in my life as He loves me.


No comments:

Post a Comment