Saturday, September 1, 2012

So Much Hope!

Musings on 1 Peter 1:1-9
1Pe 1:3-4 KJV
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you."
The days I take my eyes off the truth of these 9 verses are the days I sink like Peter and have to call out, "Lord, save me!" I lose my bearings because I lose sight of Jesus; who He is, all He has done to redeem me, and the certain hope of an eternal future full of worshipping Him.
Peter wrote these words after all...wouldn't it make sense that he wanted to keep us from making the same mistakes he did? What I find interesting is how much time we spend examining and condemning Peter's failures as a disciple when in fact, we are just like him. He was well-intentioned too..he wanted to serve Jesus too. But his pride got in the way, and his fear and confusion and excitement got in the way. Aren't we just like that?
Perhaps these verses in 1 Peter 1 are so precious to many of us because they remind us what (and more importantly, Who) is truly valuable and unchanging.
Let us not forget all we have been brought into through Christ and all we have been called out of. He is unchanging and therefore, our redemption is unchanging. Even though we cannot enjoy His physical company, we are invited to rejoice in His spiritual presence with us at all times...we are welcomed to worship Him even in all of our failings and sinfulness.
As Max Lucado puts it so well, "Jesus allows our mistakes to be lost in His perfection." I pray that I may take my eyes off myself and fix them on the Cross and the Savior who died there that I might live in "lively hope" and be given "an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled." He's waiting in Heaven for me and I can't wait to meet Him at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment