Monday, December 31, 2012

Sin and Love...Why They are not Mutually Exclusive Sermons

Musing on 1 John

Before this morning, I never realized that 1 John is as much about sin as it is about love--perhaps even more. I am awestruck by this connection as I consider the difference between what I might call the two extreme views of the gospel of Jesus Christ. All love and forgiveness, no sin and repentance.  Or all sin and repentance, no love and forgiveness. Never have I seen a clearer balance than I found in 1 John.

The reason John warns his brothers and sisters to stay away from sin is not because he wants to hang punishments over their heads...it is because he loves them. The reason John's heart overflows with love for them is not because they are perfect...it is because they are fundamentally flawed by sin and forgiven through the blood of His Savior. Is this not a reflection of Christ...a representation of how He sees us and the nature of His unconditional love for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment